Monday 17 June 2013

Where have I been?



I realise that it is over a year since my last post. My blog had barely started when my life as I knew it came crashing down. On the 21st of June 2012, my amazing father suddenly and tragically died. It was a terrible, terrible shock- this sort of thing had never happened in my family and I had naively took this for granted. It has been an extremely hard year for my family and I, and my priorities changed. I spent most of the summer at home with my mum and two sisters, the time passed but I'm not really sure how when I think back to it now.

I returned to university in October to start my second year studying English Literature. It was a difficult time, I found it very hard to leave my mum and sisters. I kept myself busy, mostly by focusing on my studies and trying not to think about anything and everything else. My boyfriend helped me a lot too.

I am not going to pretend that I have dealt with things in the best way; in fact, I have been quite selfish in that I have focused on my studies and acted like nothing has happened as much as I can. I've spent a lot of time reading both for my studies and as a form of escapism. I will share some of my reading experiences from the past year with you.

I realise this post has a very depressing feel to it- I have not intended it to. The point of this post in addition to explaining my absence, is to emphasise the power of literature; it has been a real comfort to me this past year.

To lighten the mood, here is a fantastic picture of a cow taken by my dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment